DERBY SELLING TERMS
We are delighted to receive
suitable entries for all of our sales - Antiques & Collectables, Fine Art
& Antiques, Specialist Auctions – at our Etwall Auction Centre, where we
are open (aside from seasonal closures and bank holidays) on Monday to Friday
from 9am until 5pm, on Wednesday evenings from 5pm to 7pm, and on Saturday
mornings from 9am to 12 noon, if you are unable to attend during these hours,
please do not hesitate to contact us to make other arrangements; we also offer
valuations throughout the local counties, please take a look at our website for
up to date information on these events. Further details of our sales,
specialist sales and pop up events are also on our website.
Current auction market verbal valuations are offered free of charge, whether at our Auction Centre, at our outside valuation events, or in your home should that be prudent – perhaps you have a collection of items, or require advice on larger items of furniture, or indeed, travel may be difficult for you. On consignment, and where we feel it appropriate, items will be grouped together for sale in order to maximise your financial return.
We also offer a professional and competitive written Insurance, Probate and Inheritance Tax Preparation valuation service – should you require such assistance please contact Charles Hanson for a free quotation on 01283 733988 or 07725 514855.
Hansons offer a full or part house clearance/downsizing service. A quotation can be provided free of charge and without obligation. On collection, we would consign any saleable items for auction, with other items disposed of appropriately, by charitable means where possible.
COLLECTION OF CONSIGNMENTS
We offer a full collection service starting at a fee of £30 + VAT per hour, using our own transport team and our local partner haulage service.
- Our vendor’s commission fee is:
15% (+ VAT) for lots realising up to £10,000
10% (+ VAT) for lots realising £10,000 and above.
- There is a minimum charge of £6 (+ VAT) per lot. Insurance is included.
- There is normally no charges for unsold lots with agreed reserves.
- Removal costs will be charged where appropriate.
- We have no hidden charges in our terms.
- Insurance (Damage and Loss Warranty) will be charged at 1.5% + VAT of the hammer price on all sold lots, and, additionally, in the case of Fine Art entries, at 1.5% + VAT of the mid-estimate on unsold lots.
- Lot withdrawal following initial consignment for auction will be calculated at mid estimate, with standard auction fees deducted.
- Where considered appropriate, Hansons may pursue other avenues of marketing, any charges for which will be identified to the client beforehand.
Unless agreed, and listed, with the consigning valuer beforehand, items will be offered without reserve.
MARKETING AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Our marketing team pursue all avenues of the media when promoting our sales, also generating advertising and editorial where appropriate. Our most interesting items very often receive local and national radio, television and press attention – with internet media coverage of many more items. We produce a printed catalogue for our Antiques and Collectors Auctions, and a glossy illustrated catalogue for our Fine Art Auctions and some of our specialist Auctions.
CATALOGUES AND VIEWING
All entries appear in our catalogue along with their estimates. Prior to sale the lots also appear with full colour photographs on our website and on www.the-saleroom.com, our internet bidding hosts, where they can be viewed by both a national and international audience. We also email and post out catalogues to a data base of active professional buyer’s and collectors. Please see our website for details of viewing times prior to our Auction sales – additional viewing of specific lots can be arranged by appointment at our London office, where possible.
We forward payment by cheque, together with a statement detailing the hammer price and deductions, twenty full working days from the last day of sale – this is generally four weeks. Any unsold lots will be marked as being re-offered (RE-OFFER) or to be collected by the client (AWAY). As we act as agent, payments are made to the vendor only after the purchaser’s payment has cleared; we pursue payment in such instances, however should a purchaser ultimately default on payment, we will be unable to pay the vendor the hammer price, and we will re-offer the lot in the next appropriate sale.
Where items remain unsold, unless you are notified otherwise, and at the discretion of the auctioneer, they will be offered in the next appropriate auction at a reduced estimate, with no reserve set. Any items not being re-offered are to be collected from the Auction Centre as soon as possible after the auction – any items consigned from a valuation event, can be returned to the same/or the nearest valuation venue. Hansons will accept no claims for loss or damage for items not collected within 5 days of advisement as they will not be insured after this time; additionally, after this period storage charges will be applied, and will be payable prior to collection.
Please be aware Hansons may charge for storage, where long term storage is required, or where the sale of items are delayed through no fault of Hansons – any such storage fees would be agreed with the client beforehand. Please also see the note above regarding unsold items.
- In these conditions Hansons means Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Ltd.
- Clients are advised all contracts with Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Ltd are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts applies.
- Please be aware that any electrical items consigned will be PAT tested; if the result is classed as a fail, the cords will be removed up to the body of the item before being returned to the client.
- Hansons reserve the right to advertise any consigned objects in all forms of media, known now or in the future, either before or after a sale, without requesting the vendor’s or buyer's authorisation.
- In these conditions Hansons means Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Ltd.
- Clients are advised all contracts with Hansons are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts applies.ARTISTS RESALE RIGHT (OR DROIT DE SUITE)
ARTISTS RESALE RIGHT (OR DROIT DE SUITE) According to the European Union’s Artist’s Resale Right Directive, which has been adopted by the United Kingdom, living artists and artists who died within 70 years prior to the date of the sale are entitled to receive a resale royalty each time their art work is sold by an art market professional in the European Union or United Kingdom, subject to certain conditions. Hansons note a rolling scale charge, dependant on the hammer price of paintings, prints and drawings by known artists who have died within 70 years of the date of this sale, will be made to the purchaser on works which sell for in excess of 1,000 Euros. The Exchange rate to Sterling will be fixed as at the date of sale.
All who attend Hansons Auction Centre or any other Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Ltd event shall be deemed to be there at their own risk, and are to take note of security arrangements and of the layout of the site on arrival. They shall have no claim against Hansons in respect of any accident which may occur or injury, damage or loss howsoever caused.The right is reserved to refuse admission to the auction premises and may be used by Hansons without giving a reason.
- Any auction shall be conducted at the absolute discretion of Hansons Auctioneers.
- Hansons shall conduct the Auction with reasonable skill and care - for example, what constitutes a bid shall be at the absolute discretion of the Auctioneer, acting with reasonable skill and care.
- Hansons shall have the right to refuse any bid which does not exceed the previous bid by at least 10% or by such greater proportion as the Auctioneer shall in his or her absolute discretion direct.
- Hansons reserve the right not to approve any online bidder when their registration credit check is not successful and who cannot provide references. Hansons will not accept commission bids for any buyer that has an outstanding invoice.
- Hansons do their utmost to execute each and every bid, but neither Hansons nor the seller will be responsible for errors or failures to execute bids placed on the internet or on a mobile device or telephone, including, without limitation, any loss of telephone line connection, or connection to the internet; or any breakdown or problem with the online bidding software or the website service provider.
- Hansons advises that the Auctioneer will commence and advance bidding at levels and increments he considers appropriate and is entitled to place a bid or series of bids on behalf of the Seller up to the reserve on the lot, without indicating he is doing so and whether or not other bids are placed.
- Where two or more bids at the same level are simultaneously received, Hansons shall have absolute discretion to determine which bid to prefer. Subject to the foregoing where two or more bids at the same level are simultaneously received by the Auctioneer, any bid by a Bidder personally present at an Auction shall take preference over any bid submitted by telephone or over the Internet. Any bid made or attempted by telephone or over the internet shall be deemed to have been made only if received by the Auctioneer.
- Hansons has the discretion at any time, to refuse any bid, withdraw any lot, re-offer a lot for sale (including after the fall of the hammer) if they believe there may be error or dispute, and take such action as they reasonably think fit.
- As Auctioneers, Hansons usually contract as agents for the seller whose identity, for reasons of confidentiality, is not normally disclosed; accordingly, on entering into purchase, your primary contract is with the seller.
- The ownership of any Lot purchased shall not pass to the relevant Buyer until they have made full and total payment to Hansons.
- Hansons are, primarily, agents for the seller. We are dependent on information provided by the seller and whilst we may inspect lots and act reasonably in taking a general view about them, we are normally unable to carry out any detailed examination of lots in order to ascertain their condition in the way in which it would be prudent for a buyer to. Intending buyers have ample opportunity for inspection of goods and, therefore, accept responsibility for inspecting and investigating lots prior to purchase. Neither Hansons nor the seller accept any responsibility for the condition of lots sold; particularly with regard to objects being in working order.
CCTVWe have installed CCTV systems in internal and external areas of our Heage Lane site for the purposes of public and staff safety and crime prevention and detection. In all locations, signs are displayed notifying you that CCTV is in operation and providing details of who to contact for further information about the scheme.We hold personal data from the CCTV system for a period of two weeks. Where incidents are brought to our attention then personal data captured may be held for a longer period, in particular where offences have been reported and are under investigation. You have the right to see CCTV images of yourself and be provided with a copy of the images in accordance with the codes of practice issued by the Information Commissioner. We will only disclose images and audio to other authorised bodies who intend to use it for the purposes stated above.
Any notice to any buyer, vendor, bidder or viewer may be given by mail or email in which case it shall be deemed to have been received by the addressee 48 hours after posting or sending.
Should there be any matters you would wish to lodge an objection to, please contact Mr Charles Hanson directly at [email protected], Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Ltd, Heage Lane, Etwall, Derbyshire, DE65 6LS, or via 01283 733988.
On signing the consignment receipt, the vendor confirms to Hansons that they are the true owner of the property or has the authorisation from the true owner to sell the property.On consignment, where possible, we identify the most appropriate auction for your object(s), however Hansons reserve the right to re-assign sales for any consignments should they feel it prudent, in order to maximise your financial return.
Please be aware that any electrical items consigned will be PAT tested, and the cost allocated to the seller; if the result is classed as a fail, the cords will be removed up to the body of the item before being returned to the client.
ENQUIRIES TO HANSONS
By asking Hansons to make contact with our clients with regard to items offered to the market through our auctions, you give permission to Hansons to forward your contact details, as provided at the time of the enquiry, to the client having ownership of the item you are enquiring about.
Please be aware that we often photograph and record video footage at our events for promotional purposes within printed, televisual and digital media. By attending one of our events you acknowledge that you have been informed that you may be photographed and recorded, and that you give permission for your likeness, voice and items you own to be used, to be photographed and recorded and for Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Limited to lend and use such recordings in any way, through print, televisual and digital means, whether on their own or in combination with other items via all forms of media known now or in the future. The rights to reproduce and re-use such will remain with Hansons Auctioneers and Valuers Limited thereafter without requesting your personal authorisation. Should you have any queries, please contact Rebecca Hanson on 01283 733988. Thank you for your cooperation
Hansons advise that all firearms consignments will be dealt with according to the laws of England and Wales and the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts applies at all times. In cases where the required licensing and documentation is not provided, we reserve the right to retain such items prior to disposal by the relevant authorities.
Hansons reserves the right to make occasional relevant and appropriate Introductory Commission payments, without cost to the buyer or seller.
- Care is taken to ensure that any statements as to authorship, attribution, origin, date, age, provenance and condition are reliable and accurate, but all such are statements of opinion and are not to be taken as statements or representations of fact. Hansons reserve the right, in forming their opinion, to consult and rely upon any expert or authority reasonably considered by them to be reliable.
- Whilst we seek to describe lots accurately, it may be impractical for us to carry out exhaustive due diligence on each lot. Prospective Buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and they (and any independent experts on their behalf) must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any description of a lot.
- Similarly reports on the condition of any lot are offered by Hansons as a statement of opinion only, and not of fact, and as such Hansons are not liable for any errors or omissions contained therein. Hansons will not be held responsible for any damage or defect that has not been notified to the buyer. We accept enquiries prior to, and throughout, our sales, and we do our utmost to respond to all, however please ensure you allow enough time for the relevant administration work to be carried out, also bearing in mind that we may not be able to respond to those received on sale day before the lot(s) go under the auctioneer’s hammer.
- Catalogue illustrations are for guidance only and will not convey full information as to the actual condition of lots.
- Where the term (a/f) is used, this refers to a lot being ‘as found’, it is used for guidance only and indicates that in our opinion there is significant damage or repair to an item, the omission of this term does not indicate there is not significant damage or repair to an item and Hansons are not liable for the omission of this term.
- Please note all furniture is sold as a work of art, not for functional use in a domestic setting. Upholstered items which do not comply with fire regulations will be sold for their structural and artistic value only, not for household use in their current state. Fire Safety Regulations do not apply to furniture intended for export and furniture manufactured prior to 1950.
Hansons reserve the right to advertise any consigned objects in all forms of media, known now or in the future, either before or after a sale, without requesting the vendor’s or buyer's authorisation.
All measurements are approximate, and due to the nature of the goods on offer we use both metric and imperial figures; should you require additional measurements for any item, please contact us at [email protected] or on 01283 733988.
- WHAT DO WE DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION?|When you purchase something from our store, as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address.
- When you browse our store, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
- Email marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send you emails about our auctions and other news, new products and other updates.
- CONSENT|How do you get my consent? When you provide us with personal information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery or return a purchase, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
- If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.
- How do I withdraw my consent? If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at anytime, by contacting us at [email protected] or mailing us at: Hansons Auctioneers Heage Lane, Etwall, DBY, DE65 6LS, United Kingdom
- DISCLOSURE|We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service.
- THIRD-PARTY SERVICES|In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us.
- However, certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies in respect to the information we are required to provide to them for your purchase-related transactions.
- For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your personal information will be handled by these providers.
- In particular, remember that certain providers may be located in or have facilities that are located in a different jurisdiction than either you or us. So if you elect to proceed with a transaction that involves the services of a third-party service provider, then your information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in which that service provider or its facilities are located.
- As an example, if you are located in Canada and your transaction is processed by a payment gateway located in the United States, then your personal information used in completing that transaction may be subject to disclosure under United States legislation, including the Patriot Act.
- LINKS|When you click on links on our store, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
- SECURITY|To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
- If you provide us with your credit card information, the information is encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL) and stored with a AES-256 encryption. Although no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure, we follow all PCI-DSS requirements and implement additional generally accepted industry standards.
- AGE OF CONSENT|By using this site, you represent that you are at least the age of majority in your state or province of residence, or that you are the age of majority in your state or province of residence and you have given us your consent to allow any of your minor dependents to use this site.
- If our store is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that we may continue to sell products to you.
- QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION|If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information contact our Privacy Compliance Officer at [email protected] or by mail at Hansons Auctioneers.
In addition to auction sales Hansons negotiate Private Treaty sales between ‘willing buyer and willing seller, or where several parties are interested, we offer a sealed bid Private Treaty sale service, whereby the interested parties will be invited for ‘best and final offer’ sealed bids, thus ensuring the vendor receives the optimum price. Where items are not offered for sale by auction, but are included in the auction catalogue as Private Treaty Sales, sealed bids are requested to be received by 12 noon on the Monday following our five-day Antiques and Collectors/Fine Art Auctions, with the highest bidder winning the item. In all cases, Private Treaty Sales incur the same charges as if the Lot had been sold at Auction. No responsibility is accepted for bids not actioned by Hansons for whatever reason; we reserve the right to refuse an application where we feel it appropriate.
Hansons reserves the right to dispose of any item that in their opinion is unsaleable. Items, including electrical goods and soft furnishings, which do not comply with current legislation will not be offered at Auction.
Whilst Hansons endeavours to ensure that the information supplied on the website is correct, Hansons does not warrant the accuracy and completeness of the material on the website, and may make changes to the material on the website, or to the products and prices described in it, at any time without notice. The material on the website may be out of date, and Hansons makes no commitment to update such material.The material on the website is provided ‘as is’, without any conditions, warranties or other terms of any kind. Accordingly, to the maximum extent permitted by law, Hansons provides you with the website on the basis that Hansons excludes all representations, warranties, conditions and other terms which, but for this legal notice, might have effect in relation to the website.